This recipe is perfect for the cold winter months or if you just need an easy crockpot recipe that is full of protein and flavor.
2 1/2 cups of dry red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
1 cup of dry red lentils (soaked overnight)
4 cups of vegetable broth
1 yellow onion
1 can of tomato paste
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 jalapeno pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
4 Tbsp cumin
4 Tbsp chilli powder
2tsp of sugar (optional)
1. Add 2 tsp of Avocado or Grapeseed oil to a large pot on medium heat. Dice the yellow onion and add to the pot once the oil is hot. Saute for 2-3 mins then add the red pepper flakes. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper.Saute for an additional 1 minute.
2. Combine the jalapeno and garlic either via a food processor or mortar and pestle. Add to the pot. Allow to cook for 1 min stirring constantly
3. Add the cumin,chilli powder tomato paste and *broth. Bring to a slight boil. Add the lentils and allow to cook for 10 mins or until lentils are slightly tender. Add sugar if you choose( my kids have a low tolerance for spicy foods.
4. Add the kidney beans( and sugar if you choose, my kids have a low tolerance for spicy foods). Allow to cook on low for 30-45 min or until beans are tender.
5. Garnish with parsley or vegan cheese. Serve and enjoy!
*adjust and add water to broth as needed to keep the chilli from drying out